Monday, July 16, 2007

#7 week 3 - Digital cameras

Digital cameras - I love them! For a number of years I had a wonderful Olympus with a 10x zoom. Feel on it ithis spring while scanning the skies for California Condors. Now I have the newest Olympus with an 18x zoom. It's wonderful for nature photography - from birds in the distance to close-ups of flowers, etc. Now & then I'd take a photo of a subject, plop it into Photoshop, put in a title with a Dewey Decimal number, and display it on my check-out counter. For example, I took some photos of otters while kayaking one day. Edited in with a title, "Otters 599.74." Kids enjoyed seeing what photo and call number would be showing that week. Now and then they'd actually head off to look for books in the "advertised" call number.

Also had fun over the years creating @ Your Library posters of kids, teachers, and parents reading or researching in the library.

Today I was organizing photos and adding keywords in IPhoto and was thinking about how "librarian-like" that was. It would be a good experiment for kids. What key-words would you use and why? How do tyou find things on the Internet? How can you use general or specific keywords to expand or narrow your search?

3 comments:

IrmaPince said...

What a cool idea. Definitely one to post on our curriculum wiki. If you have visited yet go to http://calcurriculum.pbwiki.com/

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0 -- Santa Cruz librarians are amazing -- love seeing school, public, and academic librarians doing it all together.

Best wishes.
- Jackie Siminitus
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

Terry Lai, SFUSD Teacher Librarian said...

Wow! I like how you think. You have alot of good ideas in one post!